One of the most useful features of any of the modern printers comes with an ability to connect with the printer via Wifi connections, this will help you to eliminate the need to connect a cable between the computers and mobile devices and establish the wireless connection. Here in this article, you will get the assistance to convert a USB printer to wireless. Whole USB printers are designed to be used over a direct connection to a single computer, it cannot only be shared but it can also be shared wireless with the workgroup. There are two different approaches to share them with connected computers. One of the options is to connect the printer directly to the USN port on the print server wireless router. So let’s discuss more the topic.
What are the steps to convert a USB printer to wireless?
Here in this section, you will get the steps to changing a USB printer to a wireless connection, so follow them carefully:
- First of all, you need to use a USB cable to connect the printer to the USB port on the wireless router. Just turn on the printer and wait for 1minute for the router to recognize it.
- Now, run the router’s software on the computer to configure the router for turning the printer to print on server mode.
- You need to run the router’s software on the computer to configure the router to turn on the server mode.
- Some of the routers such as Apple Airport extreme and install the router virtual port driver along with the driver for the printer.
- Just install the router’s virtual port driver along with the driver for the printer on any other device that you wish to access the shared printer.
- It is important to understand that you will have to insert the CD that comes along with the router and follow the instructions that pops-up on the screen.
Convert USB printer to wireless and using a wireless print server
After the process to convert USB printer to wireless you need to use the wireless print server for further process, here are the steps:
- You need to plug in the print server power adapter in the wall and plug its power cable in the power input on the back of the print server.
- Turn on the power button and connect the printer’s USB port to the print server’s USB port using the USB cable.
- Just wait for the print server to finish booting up and recognize the printer.
- Remember, every print server is different but give a minute till you see the lights turn on.
- Connect the print server to the network by tapping on the “WPS” button on the router.
- Go as quick as possible to the print server and tap on the “WPS” OR “INIT” button and hold for 5 seconds.
- Just wait for at least 30 seconds for the print server to finish connecting to the network.
- You now need to install the print server’s virtual port software on the computer that you wish to connect your printer.
In a conclusive viewpoint:
To wrap up the topic where we have discussed the steps to convert USB printer to wireless, we hope that this article has helped you to process the same. However, if there are certain issues remaining to discuss then it is recommended to visit the official website of HP Printer Support where you will get assistance for the same along with the related instructions and guidelines to fix the issues ( if any).
Frequently answered questions
What kind of USB cable do I need for my HP printer?
The USB cable that is used for the printers is known to be USB AB cable and these are named for the plugs on each end. The USB A end is a flat, tapered, rectangular plug. It is important to understand that the USB B end is a square plug that comes with two curved edges that can be connected to the printer.
How to change the hp printer from wireless to USB?
First of all, you have to open the “Control Panel” section from the PC. Just tap on the “Printers and Faxes” option. After this, you need to tap on the “Wireless all-in-one printer” and tap on the “Delete” option. Now, you have to connect a USB cable to the printer and computer ports and later on the HP Printer.
How to connect an hp printer to a laptop with USB?
You need to make sure the computer or any connected devices are having a good internet connection. Now, you need to turn on the printer and connect the USB cable to the USB port on the rear of the printer and then to the computer. If you have found a new hardware window displays, then you need to follow the prompts to install the driver and then you can try to print.