Does the message “printer driver is unavailable” horrifies you? If yes, then do not worry because you are not alone who is facing this problem. Many hp printer users have faced this problem while setting up their printer. When they try to perform HP Printer Setup, the following error message appears on their screen.
“hp printer setup driver is unavailable”
This means your device is not able to detect the correct printer driver. Hence, to get rid of this error, you need to perform a clean install and see if you can set up your printer or not. For this, you need to uninstall the printer entries and then install it again.
Resolution to fix “printer driver is unavailable”
- First, you need to unplug the USB cable that connects your printer from the computer.
- After this, go to the Control Panel of your device.
- Now, expand the ‘Programs and feature’ menu.
- From here, click on the entries related to the model name of your printer.
- Uninstall all of them and then again go to the control panel.
- From here, click on the ‘Devices and printer’ menu.
- Further, you need to select all the printer entries to remove the device completely.
- In the end, restart your computer.
To remove any leftover files:
- Navigate to the bottom left of your device and click on the Start menu.
- In the search box, type ‘device manager’.
- Now, from the search results, select ‘Device Manager’.
- On the device manager’s menu, click on the ‘View’ tab.
- Here, you need to select “show hidden devices”.
- Now, check all the entries present under the ‘Printer’ list.
- If you see any entries here, you need to right-click on them and select ‘Uninstall’.
- In the dialog box, select ‘Delete the driver software for this device’.
- Also, check the entries in the ‘printer queue’ as well as ‘imaging devices’.
- Uninstall entries from here also, if there are any.
- If you see the entry for ‘unknown device’, uninstall it as well.
- Close the device manager and then press the ‘Win + R’ keys.
- On the ‘Run’ window, type “printui.exe /s” and press Enter.
- From the print server properties, go to the drivers.
- Delete the entries from here as well.
You also need to delete the folders and files from the C drive of your device and then restart the device. After completing this process, install the software once again. Once you finish the setup process, it means the error has been resolved successfully. Move to the HP Support section from its official website if your queries haven’t been resolved.
Frequently asked questions-
What does it mean when the driver is unavailable on printer?
When you see such kind of error message telling you that the printer driver is unavailable, it means that the printer driver you have installed on your device is incompatible. It may also mean that the present driver is outdated. Hence, you should either update the printer drivers to check its compatibility.
How do I make my printer driver available?
In order to make your printer driver available, you need to clean install hp printer drivers. For this, first, you need to remove all the pre-existing files of your printer from the computer. After this, you need to make sure that all the leftover files are also removed. When you are done with this, you can finally install the printer drivers afresh.
How do I fix Printer status unavailable?
From the Start menu of your device, you need to type ‘Update’ in the search bar. Further, you need to select ‘check for updates’. In case you see that any updates are available for your printer, then you need to install them. However, Windows will automatically them. Once the update finishes, you just need to restart the device.
Why is the printer driver unavailable?
The printer driver unavailable message is displayed on your computer screen if the installed drivers are not compatible or they are not updated for a long. You can check for the available updates for your device and install them immediately.
How do I reinstall a printer driver in Windows 10?
To reinstall a printer driver in Windows 10, you need to connect both the printer and the computer using a USB cable. After this, go to the settings menu and select ‘Devices’. From here, you need to click on ‘Add a printer’. Windows will now detect available drivers after which you can install them.